Thursday, November 20, 2008

Prop 8 Debate

The Prop 8 Debate. (Hehe I rhymed)

Sometimes I don’t understand what people’s problem with this is, then I realize that in general people are stupid. I can understand their point of view. Marriage is a sacred religious term reserved for a union of a man and a woman. The bible stated in the Old Testament (kind of ambiguously if you ask me) that a Marriage (here to be defined with a capital “M”) is between a man and a woman since woman was made from man and in essence the Marriage combines them back to one.

Now if you understand American history you know about the First Amendment:

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

AKA – Separation of church and state. This means that the government can not hinder nor condone any actions or practices made by any religion. Now I have already stated that Marriage is a religious term. SO, if the government were to acknowledge Marriage, this would go against the First Amendment.

Therefore the marriage (notice little “m”) acknowledged by the US government can not be the same Marriage acknowledged by the church (or whatever other religious institution you care to insert here). Hence we have 2 definitions of marriage (Marriage) in our society. The opponents to Prop 8 and other similar propositions simply do not understand this (or maybe they do and they are just bigots). They especially do not understand this if they are in favor of a civil union and not a marriage. But I’m sure even a lot of advocates for Prop 8 don’t understand this either.

So there are a couple of solutions to this.

1. Get over it.
- Not likely to happen.
- People have difficulty separating their faith from their government
2. The government stops recognizing marriage (Marriage) all together.
- Again, not likely to happen
- The government cannot be seen to favor one type of couple over another (this is called discrimination)
3. Thats all I can think of right now.

I am not voting to make Marriage in a church for homosexual couple possible. That is an entirely different matter up to the church or whatever religious organization you belong to. I am just saying to be a fair and just government that a marriage by the state should be allowed for both a heterosexual and a homosexual couple.

In essence my term for marriage is basically a civil union as defined by the state, but if that were true, the state would not recognize both a civil union and a marriage as two separate entities.

Sorry for my rant, but that is just my 2 cents worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the large number of spam comment (i.e. pretty much all of them). I have turned off commenting. If you have any constructive comments you would like to make please direct them at my Twitter handle @Jazinator. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.