Monday, September 08, 2014

Drunk on Geology - Riff Pinot Grigio

Our next bottle up on our Drunk on Geology series is Riff. Riff (German for reef) wines are Italian wines made by Cantina Riff Progetto Lageder. The ammonite shown on the bottle of the 2012 bottle (pictured below) has also been changed for the 2013 wines, so it is likely I may feature this wine again.  


The ammonite pictured on the bottle is a simple goniatitic ammonite, meaning that the sutures between each chamber (septa) have a gentle curved pattern.


A comparable fossil ammonite to the one on the bottle is the pyritized Quenstedticeras pictured below:



The back of the bottle reads:
"Riff pinot grigio originates from vineyards in the foothills of the dolomites, located in the eastern Alps, which influence the climate and bless the region with prized alluvial soils. The name riff (German for reef) refers to the dolomites geological origin. A deposit of fossils from an ancient sea that covered this region millions of years ago."

Image of the rocks from the wine maker's website,


2 comments:

  1. Can you please tell me if ammonites come from the Riff Mountains as well as the Atlas Mountains in Morocco? I brought one the size of a softball home and, as I'm writing about it, I'd like to be accurate. I'm an aging literature teacher increasingly enamored of geology and physics (fields in which my ignorance is vast). Trying to get a handle on how things work on the marvelous planet while I'm still here to look around in wonder. Great blog: I'm bookmarking it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I do not really know much about the Riff Mountains and what information I was able to find for this post was scant as it was. I'm sorry I can't be of more help but I don't want to give out bad information when I am unsure of the answer.

      Delete

Due to the large number of spam comment (i.e. pretty much all of them). I have turned off commenting. If you have any constructive comments you would like to make please direct them at my Twitter handle @Jazinator. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.